Sunday, June 29, 2008

Marimekko Wrought Iron

Today has been a perfect Wellington day - pouring with rain, howling southerly and torrential rain. There really was nothing else for it but to avoid all potential distractions and head for the quilt room to put some of those inspirations down into textile and stitch. As a result much progress was made with a Guild Challenge that I am working on which requires the interpretation of a playing card. Since it's a challenge, I don't think I can really show it at this stage - anyway there is still a way to go, but I promise it will make an appearance at an opportune time. So instead I'm back on the theme of wrought iron inspiration - but this time also in textiles...
I was so excited when I found this fabric several years ago while on a work trip to London. I hadn't been there for 20 years so it was a very exciting and fun time. I had done my research before arriving and was particularly keen to find the Marimekko shop in St Christopher's Place. Marimekko fabric is not so easy to come across here on the far side of the world so I felt a bit like a child in a lolly shop. A yard of this wonderful fabric came home along with a few others, if the truth be told. This fabric is called 'Paris Gates' and based on the wonderful wrought iron found in abundance in that city.
It was put to excellent use and is now one of my favourite summer skirts, which always attracts compliments and queries, and not a little envy from some of my textile pals. I only have some small scraps left which are almost too precious to use, although I know one day the perfect project for them will undoubtedly spring to mind. Until then I just enjoy wearing the skirt and stroking the remnants from time to time.

No comments: