Monday, June 23, 2008

Thinking of Knitting

It must be the cold weather that makes me gravitate to the knitting needles and yarns, rather than heading to my rather cold quilt room to play on the sewing machine. I can remember that the same thing happened last winter when I seemed to be in hat and scarf production mode. We also had an exchange student from Brazil living with us this time last year and I taught her to knit while she stayed with us - it was one way of making sure she had some wool on her when she ventured outside! Being from Brazil, wool wasn't a fibre that she was familiar with and she kept wondering why her cotton tops weren't keeping her warm enough!

I've been on the hunt for some more hat patterns so I can make a few more hats - I have a friend who needs a new hat but having tried on the one I recently made for myself we decided that this pattern wasn't going to be a goer! She didn't look her best, which after all isn't the object of the exercise.

So when I found this book recently in my favourite fabric and fibre shop - Nancy's - and discovered that it had a chart showing the best styles for different face shapes, it was an almost immediate impulsive buy. Still to do the browsing through the book with my friend, but I think she'll be spoilt for choice.
Only problem is I need to learn how to cast onto double pointed needles and knit in the round... nothing like a challenge! The things we do for our friends....

No comments: