Tuesday, June 3, 2008

One Person's Trash

is another person's treasure, so the saying goes. I spent a lot of time up in my sewing room today cutting yet more pair of old jeans into squares for the curtains - I'm really starting to go off denim! One of the real plus sides of doing so much cutting work was that I was facing this little corner of the room, which is home to some real treasures of mine. The one that never fails to bring a smile to my face is this knitted house. I found it at a local school fair a couple of years ago on the craft stall, for the princely sum of $2. There was no question that it was coming home with me. Someone was clearly pleased to have it out of their house and I was thrilled to have it in mine. I haven't yet found the right shaped object to show it off to perfection - the house cover is square, so definitely not designed for a tea pot and much to big to fit on the head with any vestige of style. Maybe it was just made for the fun of it. It certainly has had a lot of care and attention lavished on it as all four sides are detailed with separately knitted shutters and lots of added embroidered flowers. As you can see it has pride of place on my bookcase, which has been the cause of some hilarity to my non-textile friends and family. There is something about it they will just never understand, but I'm sure you do. This is my other favourite knitted piece - a real tea cosy this time. The moment I saw it with the cluster of red flowers around the top I knew it had to come home to my house. I enjoy trying to imagine the women who made these things. I know creating them will have bought them pleasure, just the same as they give me when I catch sight of them.

Here is the companion to the strolling dogs of yesterday, another by my grandfather. I'm so pleased I have these to treasure and to share.



1 comment:

Gina E. said...

Awww, love the doggies! The knitted house sure does look like a teacosy at first glance, but if it is square as you say, what about an appliance cover, like a Toaster? If so, it would be an old one, because today's toasters are so huge!