Saturday, February 21, 2009

O' Peppermint Tea

I feel like I am onto a bit of a roll with making tea cosies. Last week I went hunting for quotes about tea (ain't the Internet a wonderful thing!) and found some absolute beauties, including one about peppermint tea and before I knew it a new tea cosy was born. One of my stitching friends had a birthday looming and she is a peppermint tea devotee - so there was really only one possible result... The Japanese fabric was an obvious choice as she has lived in Japan, has made numerous wonderful Japanese quilts as well as having kindly given me some great textile treasures from her time well spent hunting out the temple sales.

I couldn't resist using an old piece of indigo that has mending on it from its previous life - I love the thought that someone else has so valued the textile that they have spent time mending it for further use. It also brings to mind the wonderful textiles from Sri Threads that I just love browsing.
The back was made from a Japanese Noran, or door covering, which was the perfect base for the quote from Astrid Alauda -
O' peppermint tea -
two delights per sip
as steamy hot as passion
cool as a wintry lake dip
Happy birthday Jill!

2 comments:

Jacky said...

Looove this asian inspired tea cosy.... and love peppermint tea too!

Mlle La Revolution des Cache-Pots said...

Hi Phillipa, I just found your blog and want to say hello!
Thanks for posting a link to my site, I'm so happy to find another tea cosy lover....AND I do have giveaways from time to time on my Teacosy Revolution blog, so I'll let you know when the next one happens too!
Hope you're having a lovely weekend?
Best regards and many large virtual cups of tea xxx Tara Badcock