Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Progress and yet more Diversions

There's been lots going on here - actual progress on stitching projects, success in sending children back to school (large sigh of relief) and starting a new job. It won't surprise you that I am actually most pleased about the stitching projects! Good progress has been made of the quilts for our Guild exhibition, which is just as well given they have to be dropped off on Saturday....


In the process of getting onto those I had to clear a path into the sewing room (husband hates it when I call it that - he harbours illusions that it is a room for the whole family to use...I don't think so! Clearly he needs to read some Virginia Woolf!!) In the process of the general tidying I came across this fabulous fabric that I found while in the Hawkes Bay earlier in the year. Thought you'd like a look - I think it may become a table runner....one day....


Then there is my fabulous new apron - from Trade Me - the moment I saw it I knew it was destined to move to my house. It is in mint condition and a complete mystery. It is a peg bag with one large pocket and was a printed pattern, as you can see it in a few spots. But the Portugal label on the waist band is a puzzle. It even has drawn thread work in the middle of the heart. I love it and the kids are getting genuinely scared that I am going to wear it out of the house!
Speaking of mysteries I have solved the riddle of the Dutch cloth that I last blogged about. The lovely Helen, from Show Your Workings, ran the dutch text through Babel fish and it suggested the following "This way if the bluebird taps at home, it taps nowhere." This is actually strangely related to its real meeting. I showed it to a Dutch friend ans she said that it has a meaning like the old saying "there's no place like home" and that it roughly translates to the clock ticks nowhere like it ticks at home. Hence the embroidery of the old clock on the piece. So Babel fish and Helen were sort of on the right track, if you just stand back and squint a bit from side on...

One of my lovely stitching friends has had bronchitis lately and needed some knitting to keep her occupied during the recovery - and I was the beneficiary by receiving this wonderful knitting bag. I must admit that I had pointed out the pattern to her in a book with many admiring comments. And lo, it was produced...
complete with the most fabulous Amy Butler lining, which was not called for in the pattern but deemed essential by my ever stylish friend.
It's definitely going to do the trick in encouraging a few more knitting projects - just as soon as I get the partially completed quilt and embroidered blanket out of the way....


4 comments:

Amy said...

That knitting bag looks wonderful and the lining is such a surprise. When I first scrolled down, it thought it must be a whole new bag.

Gina E. said...

Hi Phillipa,
It was lovely to get your email, and I am so pleased you were able to see "The Gentle Arts" book for yourself. Sorry I can't suggest anything for your stay in Adelaide; I've been there once or twice, but about 40 years ago, so I don't remember much about it, except that it was (and still is) a lovely city, with heaps to see and do. Enjoy your stay!
I've been admiring your blog posts - just love that fabric with the teapots on it! It would be a fantastic centrepiece for a quilt/wallhanging with a teapot and cups theme!

Gina E. said...

Me again - forgot to mention the apron - GORGEOUS!! I've seen a few of those half aprons marked Portugal. I don't know what the story is - be interesting to find out.

Unknown said...

What a lucky lady you are to receive the gorgeous knitting bag. The lining really makes it extra special. And I love the Portugal apron!
~Emily