Friday, March 21, 2008

Thank goodness for friends!

It's been a busy few days here at Sustaining Stitches with book club this week as well as evening gatherings with the two stitching groups I meet with - lots of talking but not much blogging! Thank heavens though for the friends that I did tell about this venture into the blogging world - they were able to point out the spelling and grammatical errors, help me find the spell check function and give me tips for photographs so I don't look like the complete novice that I am! It's all a sharp learning curve for me, hopefully you'll be patient with me on this one...

One of my stitching groups has a fortnightly challenge where someone nominates a theme and we then make a small "journal" size quilt for sharing between us. This week the theme was red and here is my effort...


Just loving using linen to sew with at the moment. There are few tricks to manage it but the texture and feel of it is wonderful. This quilt was inspired by my recent trip to Napier to see an old friend visiting from London. I found a new gallery which was just in the throes of setting up and hanging their first exhibition - the Red Cross Gallery. It had an wrought iron guard over the front windows which I particularly liked and drew on for the piece. If you look closely at the photo of the gallery, you can even see me!

It's wonderful to have Easter stretching out ahead of us - time to stitch and time to reflect. I've been busy at the sewing machine today finishing the quilting on a Japanese quilt in time for my brother and new sister-in-law when they come to visit next month - photos to come over the weekend once the light is right. I'm hoping that every day over Easter will see me up there for at least a few hours.

I hope Easter brings you lots of time for indulgence - of the textile and chocolate kind!








No comments: