Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Start of Something New

As befits this time of year I've taken to new beginnings. I have been having what my family kindly call "a quilting frenzy" which means I've been enjoying my holiday at home by spending more time that I have in quite a while creating behind my sewing machine.

While I have a number of things I probably "should" be stitching instead, I've been having great fun building a quilt for a friend of mine who is facing more than her fair share of health challenges at the moment. So often I feel there is little that I can really do to help her out so I decided that what she and her five year old daughter really need is a quilt to cuddle under - and that is something that clearly I'm ideally suited to work on.

I'm quick to admit that I have had help - my cat Oscar has been keeping me company and giving me ideas for the quilt. This is the tidy corner of the sewing room!
I decided that I'd include on it all the things she loves and needs right now - friends to give her lots of hugs, the casting of magic spells to speed her full recovery, lots of cups of tea,
someone to help with the more mundane household chores, which don't stop just because you don't feel 100%,
and lots of friends, including a cheerleader to keep her spirits up and a coach to push her on.
There are also going to be lots of gardens that will never need weeding.
It's all coming together nicely - what I really need now is some more dodgy weather so I can stay behind the sewing machine without any guilt or feelings that I just might be missing summer. I hope that wherever you are, you are getting the time and weather to do just what you need to set you up for the new year.

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Nice! Good to see a frenzy happening. I've had substantial assistance from Eliot Cat over last week or two of quilting - I think it's because Wgtn has foul weather!

salty pebble said...

lovely blog! ** happy new year**
love all the quilting- looks an exciting way to pass time! x

Jacky said...

What a lovely idea and quilt...you will be very busy over the summer!

Love that gorgeous ginger pussy cat of yours!

Jacky xox

Gina E. said...

Oh, you are kind - your friend and her daughter will just love this quilt with all the special messages!

india flint said...

your Oscar is very much like my Johnnie-pyjama-sack, who aims for sleeping exactly in the middle of my work