Sunday, November 2, 2008

Lost in Action or Hard at Work...

Hello - remember me? Don't worry - I'll be quite understanding if you don't - its been a while.... However there has been the odd thing going on in my little corner of the world. Do you remember this pile of fabric?I've been spending quite a lot of time with it lately - getting closely acquainted with every different shade, value and pattern and I'm rather pleased to say that after a lot of elbow grease and many hours secluded from the family, I've managed to transform it into this....It's based on a Kaffe Fassett quilt called Gridlock that I have always loved from his first book. I changed it by putting in some whole pieces, from the Loni Rossi fabrics that my "soon to be" sister in law choose when she visited NZ last year, some four patch blocks and playing around with the colour recipe. It is so large that it is rather hard to photograph in my studio, and it only just fitted onto my available hanging space. It measures a mere 9 foot wide x 7 foot deep (or 2.8m x 2.2m for the metrically minded). Anyway you look at it, it really is large but will fit the King sized bed perfectly.

So here's a couple of detail shots which will give a better idea of the colour and fabric ranges - for once the camera decided to cooperate!I am very pleased with it - not least I am pleased to have the top finished as it is only 6 weeks until we depart for the wedding in the topics of Townsville, Queensland (and yes I do know that no one who lives in Townsville actually needs a quilt, but some things just have to be done!).Having got this far, I'm pleased to say that sanity has prevailed in my quilt room and I've decided that someone else can quilt it on their longarm machine. After all, as one of my very dear stitching friends pointed out to me, Nancy Crow never quilts her own pieces......

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Kaffe doesn't either.

Cathie said...

This is so interesting - vivid - pretty. I think you should try to stitch it - "Jude Style" bigger hand stitches, randomly traveling over the surface. Whichever way you choose: to have it quilted or quilt it yourself - I KNOW it will be awesome.